Why would you possibly want to do this?


Visit TTMAD Home Page


Call it crazy, call it a 'mid-life crises', call it boys being boys... I don't mind. I am 45 years old, been physically active most of my life (interspersed with brief periods of sheer laziness) and have decided to complete the South African Ironman in April 2008. (3.8k Swim, 180k Cycle, 42.2k Run)

Someone told me that when you are 45, rich and bored you buy a Harley or a sports car. When you are 45, poor and suffer from OCD (Obsessive Compulsive Disorder) you do the Ironman.

In 1987 I completed a canoe Ironman triathlon and suddenly realised that if I completed the Ironman in 2008, it would be almost 21 Years to the day since my last big physical challenge.

I have been training for a few months now but took 4 weeks off all training before the 'big push' that starts TODAY (2 July 2007). This BLOG will be a daily Web Log of the life and times of a Ironman Wannabe. I trust you will enjoy the experience with me and please feel free to comment on any of the blogs.

PS. I am doing this for charity and the details of that will soon be posted here, as well as on my own site at www.brandstrategy.co.za and at the TTMAD site (Tri-ing To Make A Difference)

Friday, August 10, 2007

Call off the search! I am back.

What a week, and I can't even talk about it... YET! One of these days I will spill the beans. This has been one of those trying times, one of those weeks that they were speaking about when they came up with the Chinese curse "may you live in interesting times"... this was them!

Oh enough moaning already, are you an Ironman or what? Training, blogging, writing, eating, sleeping took a bit of a back seat this week but tomorrow is the weekend and I plan to enter it with renewed vigor and determination. I suppose I never really understood the challenges of balancing a life, a job, a family and training for Ironman.

I have new respect for amateur athletes, that is not to say I don't respect the professionals it is just the ability to balance everything that is such a challenge. So to all of you out there struggling to balance all the aspects of your life, you are not alone. Don't lose faith just keep plugging away. With about 246 days to go I think I am still going to learn a LOT of lessons.

Look out for the daily blog and the daily training log, they are officially back.

PS Don't forget to visit TTMAD.COM we have secured about R7000 in pledges so far and Jane is leaving for the Alps in a few weeks time.

No comments:

I Share My Road...

(This article I wrote, recently appeared in the SA Mens Health Magazine in July 2008 as the letter of the month)

I Share MY Road…

MY road? Well it’s not really MY road, I don’t really own it, in fact I don’t even live on it, but I do run it almost everyday and in my head that makes it MY road. I set out at about 5:15am most mornings and I share MY road with so many others.

There are the sprinters, the joggers and the walkers. What strikes me most about these people is that they are not wearing the latest in high tech running shoes or specially designed shirts to wick sweat from the body as they cover the kilometers. No GPS heart rate monitors strapped on these chest. In fact most are in ordinary clothes, overalls, construction boots, reflective security jackets, in fact, just about anything.

They are not running to get fit or to complete some race they have circled on a calendar, they are running to get to work, to catch a taxi, to make a change of shift or even to get home after pulling an all nighter. They are running to bring home the money they need to live, they are truly professional athletes.

We nod to each other as we pass and sometimes even share a greeting over the music blaring from my iPod. And each day I am reminded just how fortunate I am to have the opportunity and the means to choose when I run, to choose why I run and to choose where I run.

So to all those who share MY road with me, thank you for the lessons you teach me everyday and Gods speed and safety on your journey.

Mike Said
Somewhere on MY Road
Senderwood